Monday, May 21, 2012

Getting ready for summer

Last week we attended the annual school picnic, a true mark of the end of the school year and the beginning of summer. We hauled our picnic basket out of the garage for the occasion. I nearly donated this basket to charity, but now I'm glad I didn't! I love to picnic, but as it always takes me so long to get ready, we hardly ever go on one. It occurred to me as I cleaned up this time, how much easier it would be if I prepared for the next picnic before putting the basket away. I'm sure many of you do this already, but for me it was a real "ah-ha" moment!

The original plates, cups, and cutlery from the basket are long gone, but we had enough stuff on hand to make it work for now. I envision enamel plates and sturdier cups to replace the disposable ones in there now. And of course, cloth napkins! Reusuable sandwich and snack bags will soon follow. Amanda Blake Soule has a picnic roll tutorial in The Rhythm of Family for handy storage of picnic cutlery.  A bed sheet is standing in for a picnic blanket, and tucked under it is a travel container of baby wipes. A small first aid kit, sunscreen and bug spray will complete the collection. Look out splash pads, we are now ready for spontaneous picnicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awwww, you cared enough to leave a comment! Thank you so much for making my day :-D