Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Handmade Treasure

Can you guess what this is?






It is a rug crocheted by my grandmother 30 years ago.  Now, can you guess what material she used to crochet this rug?  Bread wrappers.  Yes, you read that correctly -my grandmother saved her plastic bread wrappers and crocheted area rugs.  Can you tell that she was a Depression Era child?  This rug has been by my bed since she made it (save for my college years and that heavenly year spent living in San Francisco).  I would literally save it from a fire before any other posession!  I love this rug to bits and it has held up surprising well.  I do think at some point I may need to frame it in order to preserve it for future generations.  Every time I step on it I think of my Grandma and all the hours she spent making goodies for all of us  <3





I've checked the web to see if anyone is doing anything like this these days, but no luck so far.  Lots of people are making fab shopping bags by crocheting plastic grocery bags though!

If you are interested in making your own rug (plastic or fabric) check out the tutorial on This Vintage Chica.  The method seems to be what I remember my grandmother doing to make her rugs..  Now that I've found the tutorial, I'm beginning to imagine all the spots in my home that could use a new rug.............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awwww, you cared enough to leave a comment! Thank you so much for making my day :-D