Thursday, July 8, 2010

Make Your Own Play Oven

How proud am I of this?  


Earlier in the year I was inspired by people who transformed existing furniture into play kitchens.  This nightstand has been kicking around my house for 3 years.  It was a freebee and therefore ripe for renovation.  It started its life looking like this:


As you can see it has four burners


and a deep oven perfect for making playdough pies.  


And what does every tomato-loving Turtle need?  A new timer, of course!


Our entertainment center (which has always been used as Toy Central) is unergoing renovations as well.  A few final touches and Turtle will have a full-fledged kitchen!

DIY details

I lightly sanded the stand & coated it with primer.  Next time I paint furniture, I will make sure to use the right tool to get a nice, thick coat of primer down.  After two coats of paint, I can still see a bit of the wood underneath.  Oh well, I'm not being perfect!  I thought about replacing the hardware on the drawer, but it does the job.  The burners are sticky-backed glitter foam.  I thought about painting the burners on, but that would have required buying paint.  Besides, the foam was faster.  I haven't put a door on the oven yet because I haven't decided how I want to do it.  Turtle doesn't seem to mind so it will do for now.  If you think this is neat, you should check out some of these kitchens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awwww, you cared enough to leave a comment! Thank you so much for making my day :-D