Monday, April 19, 2010

Inspired by Miss Rumphius and Poetry

I ADORE  the book Miss Rumphius!  It is such a sweet story as well as being beautifully illustrated.  I bring it out each year in the classroom when we begin our plant study, but I think I'll bring it out a bit sooner so we can read it in time for Earth Day.  I'd like to tie the idea of making the world more beautiful into Earth Day.  In the back of my mind I'd like to be Miss Rumphius when I grow up!  I've written about the book before, you can see it here

Lupine with Orange Poppy, Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington, USA




Recently I stumbled upon a fabulous blog called The Miss Rumphius Effect.  It was serendipity that this blog came into my life as I am reading The Artistic Mother: A Practical Guide to Fitting Creativity into Your Busy Life.  One of the creative elements in this book is poetry.  Don't get me wrong, I like poetry.  I just don't go out of my way to read much poetry. Luckily for me The Miss Rumphius Effect features work by children's poets.  As I was reading the work of some of these poets, I realized that this was the kind of poetry I can get into and create myself.  I hadn't realized how many other great poets were publishing poetry for children!

I strive to keep realistic literature in my Montessori classroom.  It can be difficult to find fun books that aren't about talking animals or magical beings.  However with the help of The Miss Rumphius Effect I'm finding many poetry titles that will tie into our existing curriculum.  I'm making a list and once I get next year's classroom budget, I'm going on a book spending spree!

Poetry in Motion I





4 comments:

  1. C-Joy--Miss Rumphius is one of my favorite books--I just video-blogged about it on BN.com under Blogging Booksellers--should be up this week--check it out! I love Miss Rumphius and did my part this weekend, planting flowers in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of the book before but just checked with our Danish library and they have it! :) Thanks for the tip. Off to plant some flowers... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta check that book out.

    So you saw you won the collage kit? Yeah! thanks for entering. Can you send me your mailing address... to shonacole at aol dot com?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so fun to fun something that inspires us that much. Can you believe it, schools not out yet and you're already planning next year.

    You go girl.

    ReplyDelete

Awwww, you cared enough to leave a comment! Thank you so much for making my day :-D