This week's yoga class was about being fearless. In particular, about being fearless when doing a handstand. Please note, I have never done a handstand before in my life. Talk about fear!
I'm not sure which fear was greater. The fear of:
- Being upside down
- My clothes staying in place while I was upside down
- The pain of stressing my neck and shoulders
- Speaking up about my concern of stressing my neck and shoulders
- My arms potentially not being strong enough to support me
- Having to depend on a relative stranger to support me while I was trying to be upside down
I did not say anything about my concerns. Mostly, I was too chicken to speak up. But part of me just wanted to see how far I could push myself. I did not want to give pain the power to dictate what I could and could not do. So I kept my mouth shut, did the handstand, then went home and put on a heating pad. I may regret the decision in the morning, but somehow I think not.
And speaking of fearlessness, have you purchased your copy of Daring Greatly yet?